Summer Research Experience Program
The Groups Scholars Summer Research Experience Program prepares high-achieving incoming freshmen in scientific research by helping them develop necessary skills in formulating questions, using field-specific tools, gathering and analyzing data, and communicating findings. Current graduate students, faculty, or other researchers in STEM disciplines at IU who are advancing knowledge in their respective disciplines mentor the scholars.
As part of the Groups STEM Summer Research Experience Program, incoming STEM Scholars engage in five weeks (15-18 hours per week) of hands-on research with the guidance of faculty, graduate students, and active researchers. Projects begin mid-June and completed by late-July.
Student Participation Criteria
- Be accepted in the Groups Scholars Program and Indiana University as an incoming freshman
- 3.0 minimum cumulative high school GPA
- B or higher grades in high school science and math courses
- Two letters of recommendation
- Declaration of or intend to major in science, technology, or math discipline